visiting Mexico you are protected by PROFECO (the Federal
Bureau of Consumer Interests). This institution informs,
assesses, and protects the consumer. There are PROFECO
offices in all major cities in Mexico.
AND LEGAL ADVICE
- Information: Profeco offers free advice on the commercial
conduct of companies operating in Mexico.
- Complaints: Profeco receives reports of non-compliance
upon contracting a service or buying products. Go
to the Profeco office in the town where you are, making
sure to present a copy of the documents which validate
the operation undertaken: the receipt or contract
and a valid form of identity.
- You can also present your complaints to Profeco
via the Mexican Embassy or Consulate in your country
of origin, or by mail to:
Dirección General de Quejas y Conciliación
Av. José Vasconcelos
No. 208, Colonia Condesa, México 06140, D.F.
(Accompany a brief description of your problem with your
name, address and telephone number.)
THE ROAD - TIPS
- Book your tickets in advance.
- Make sure that your seat numbers are honored as well
as the date and time of departure.
- If it is necessary to store your baggage in the hold
of the bus you must request a receipt. It will serve
as your proof in case of loss.
For entry into Mexico you must present:
- If you are the owner: the original and a copy of Proof
of Ownership of the vehicle.
- If it is rented: the rental contract and authorization
by the rental company allowing the vehicle to be taken
out of the country.
- Upon obtaining the permit for temporary importation,
you must stick the hologram sticker onto the front window,
where it should remain for the length of your journey.
- To reinforce motorway security, there are checkpoints
where your vehicle, baggage and documents may be checked.
We recommend having your documents at hand and in order.
- Sometimes gas stations can be very far from one another.
Avoid problems by filling up with the sufficient amount
of gas for the distance you will travel.
SHARE - TIPS
- Profeco offers information on companies offering Time
Share plans. Please call us.
- Before signing any document be sure to read it through
completely and clear up any doubts you may have.
- By law you have the right to cancel the contract within
five days of having signed, recovering all money paid,
free of responsibility. Notify the office where you
signed of your decision.
SERVICES - TIPS
- All providers of accommodation services are obliged
to respect prices, guarantees, interests, charges, terms,
periods, dates, reservations and other., conditions
offered and agreed to with the consumer. All establishments
which offer a money exchange service.must display the
current exchange rate.
- All accommodation establishments must have a civil
responsibility insurance for the protection of the client.
(This rule does not apply to camp-sites and caravan
CONTRACTING A SERVICE - TIPS
- Read all of the details specified in the contract
and keep a copy with you at all times.
- When buying any product ask for a receipt or invoice
with the name, address and telephone number of the establishment
where the purchase was made, as well as a description
of the product bought.
- With the exception of instances affecting the peace
or security of the client or place, no establishment
providing a service can discriminate on the grounds
of race, gender, political or religious leaning, nationality
or social standing. Nor can they select their clientele,
reserve right of admission, exclude people with a disability
or undertake any similar practice. (The above applies
to hotels, restaurants, bars, cafeterias, entertainment
and recreation facilities, travel agents, etc.)
- The rates and prices should always be on display
in Mexican Pesos. It is illegal to charge in foreign
- Ask about any additional services which may be available,
as well as their cost. Always check the cancellation
fee and conditions.
- If your reservations are not honored or the prices
or conditions vary to what is established in the contract,
visit or call the nearest Profeco office.
- At Profeco we are here to help: call us at 5568-8722
From Mexico City: 5568-8722. From the rest of Mexico:
Site in English: http://www.profeco.gob.mx/english.htm
National Immigration Institute
From Mexico City: 5387-2400. www.inami.gob.mx
Ministry of Tourism
From Mexico City: 5250-0123 or 5250-0151.
From the rest of Mexico: 01-800-903-9200. From the USA: