Vehicle Insurance Required

Express you joy, miff, awe, concern, praise or rant in all things San Felipe.

Vehicle Insurance Required

Postby Teniente » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:08 am

From the San Diego Union Tribune, 1-3-2012
************************************************************************************************************************************************
TIJUANA -- Starting Jan.1, Baja California motorists must meet a requirement that will sound familiar to drivers north of the border: They must have liability insurance.

The state passed a reform in 2011 that makes such insurance mandatory. Minimum coverage will cost approximately 860 pesos a year (about $62) for damage to third parties of at least 260,000 pesos (about $18,632).

“From the moment you drive the public streets of the State of Baja California it’s mandatory to have an insurance policy, no matter if the vehicle license is current or not, if the vehicle is from another state or even if the car does not have a license ,” said Arturo Alvarado, a tax collector.

The state is asking drivers to contact their insurance company to obtain information about the various auto liability coverage options. The state will not offer auto insurance.

“You run the risk of losing everything (in an auto accident),” Alvarado said. “That’s why it’s so important to have liability coverage. There are so many cases when someone hurts someone else but doesn’t have the ability to pay for the accident.”

Starting in January, every motorist that obtains or renews their vehicle registration and license will have to present proof of valid insurance.

More information is available at:

-- Baja California government office in the Río zone

-- By phoning (664) 172-3017 or (800) 027-3999, if dialing from Baja California

-- State government’s official site

Omar.millan@sandiegored.com
Teniente

Re: Vehicle Insurance Required

Postby Wornout99 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Does this mean drivers license insurance is no longer valid? The reason I ask is some of the quote you mention states you must have liability whether the vehicle is licensed or now. This sounds like EVERY vehicle you drive down here my have a policy where in the past drivers license insurance covered you when driving licensed vehicles.
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.
Wornout99

Postby bajalou » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:56 pm

I think the states referred to are Baja Calif, etc. (Mexican States).
Lou
bajalou

Postby Teniente » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:28 am

“From the moment you drive the public streets of the State of Baja California it’s mandatory to have an insurance policy, no matter if the vehicle license is current or not, if the vehicle is from another state or even if the car does not have a license ,” said Arturo Alvarado, a tax collector.

I am "assuming" the state(s) mentioned above are Mexican states, however it makes it clear that.....“From the moment you drive the public streets of the State of Baja California it’s mandatory to have an insurance policy"..........also refers to anyone driving in the state of Baja California. A drivers license policy issued by a company licensed to sell coverage in Mexico would comply with this requirement.

I also believe this "new" law is mainly aimed at Mexican nationals......will be interesting to see if it works and what the compliance is.
Teniente

Postby Rob Hoare » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:43 pm

I renewed my Baja California plates this afternoon and proof of insurance was NOT yet required, although I did carry it with me just in case. As usual no inspections and certainly no smog test, despite the rumors.

Very easy to renew in the San Felipe "DMV", I was the only customer at the time and was in and out of there in five minutes. This year the plates are 914 pesos compared to 625 pesos last year, each of the fees has been increased to compensate for the loss of the tenencia income. Still, $66/year is reasonable.

The insurance I have is a Mexican domestic policy (for Mexican registered vehicles) but it also includes full coverage in the USA and Canada, with $100k US CSL liability and a Canada Non-Resident interprovince liability card, so covers all three countries.
--> Read the latest articles from more than thirty San Felipe blogs at San Felipe News.
Rob Hoare

Return to Talk San Felipe