WiMax Rollout

Express you joy, miff, awe, concern, praise or rant in all things San Felipe.

Re: WiMax Rollout

Postby Wornout99 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:40 pm

I know one loses the internet when they shut it down but I am talking about cancelling my phone and internet service. When we return, I would just go down and order WiMax. Our phone numbers are going to change anyway with the new system. What is aggravating is I already know what my new phone number will be.

If they put in WiMax, then I will go ahead and pay all summer as I am sure once the conversion is done there will be an installation fee.
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.
Wornout99

Postby Rob Hoare » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:55 pm

I haven't even signed up for the wait list for Wi-Max yet. Doesn't seem much point at this stage.

I hope the existing Telnor fixed wireless continues for a while, it's been very reliable. I use it as a backup (and for the automated uploads of the weather station reports, even while I'm away).

For my main connection I'm still using Telcel Amigo 3G, with a mobile router serving multiple computers and other devices. Looks like they''ve been doing a bit of capacity planning recently as the capped maximum download speed has reduced from 3Mb/s to 2Mb/s, but that's still nearly 20 times the speed of Telnor. More importantly it's become much more consistent, similar speeds at most hours of the day and night. The maximum upload speed has also increased in the past year, making it better for VOIP. Could still do with being more reliable, but the short disconnects have reduced to a bunch of them every few days, rather than all the time, so it's good enough (especially when I have a backup anyway).

My household (both humans and computers!) gets through about 200MB of data downloaded a day on average (without any video), so the 3GB/mo limit is a nuisance. Currently there's a double-data promotion which means the data just about lasts a month, at other times I've had to reload in mid-month. Still, because I only pay for the months I'm here, it works out under 500 pesos a month on average, which for the speed is very competitive with what Wi-Max might offer (and, it's been in use for the past two years, so is getting more reliable).

So I'm struggling to see a reason to subscribe to the Wi-Max if/when it becomes available. The unlimited data (if that remains in the final product) is certainly an attraction, faster speeds might also be useful if they happen. Having to pay a subscription every month, even when I'm not in San Felipe, is a major negative.

Rob
--> Read the latest articles from more than thirty San Felipe blogs at San Felipe News.
Rob Hoare

Current Telnor Speed Test

Postby Wornout99 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Things are going downhill fast. I printed a test result from earlier and placed it here in this thread. I was getting 107 kbps download. Now I am in the 50 kbps and you will notice an F grade......NO KIDDING!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (21.79 KiB) Viewed 6609 times
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.
Wornout99

Postby bajajorgeyana » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:38 am

Maybe they're saying "Yankee go home". Jorge :lol:
bajajorgeyana

Postby Wornout99 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 am

bajajorgeyana wrote:Maybe they're saying "Yankee go home". Jorge :lol:

It would take more than Telnor to send me back to that society. :-)
Wornout99

WiMax Rollout Begins

Postby Wornout99 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:32 am

I got my antenna, cable and new box installed yesterday. The box contains a Wi-Fi router and 4 slots for LAN cables. This is a good thing if you live in a solar community as you will no longer need to power an external router. The Amps and Watts are the same as the old Telnor box. This was the first test I ran.

I was the last install of the day and it didn't work so the Technician left and said he would be back this morning at 9 am.

I got up early and turned on the box, viola, it works, and I am on it now. Phone side still down but the internet is up and working. Speeds are what was published at the meeting and my first speed test results are below. It is interesting that the grade is a 'D' and the box indicates we are 74 slower than the rest of Mexico. What is interesting is I am now 25 times faster that what I had yesterday, Yahoo......
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (21.71 KiB) Viewed 6589 times
Wornout99

Postby Turtleone » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:35 am

GREAT! What's the good word on service for the rest of us???
Turtleone

Postby akshadow » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:21 pm

How did they notify you of the date and time of install?
How long of a notice?

I am wondering because we are out of town for a few weeks.
akshadow

Re: WiMax Rollout Begins

Postby Rob Hoare » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:29 am

Wornout99 wrote:Speeds are what was published at the meeting and my first speed test results are below.

Which of the three levels of service are you subscribed to? Is it the "up to 2Mb/s" middle tier?
--> Read the latest articles from more than thirty San Felipe blogs at San Felipe News.
Rob Hoare

Postby Wornout99 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:32 pm

akshadow wrote:How did they notify you of the date and time of install?
How long of a notice?

I am wondering because we are out of town for a few weeks.

They call before sending out. My call came he day before, I know of one other call and hey were told, later this week.
Wornout99

Re: WiMax Rollout Begins

Postby Wornout99 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Rob Hoare wrote:
Wornout99 wrote:Speeds are what was published at the meeting and my first speed test results are below.

Which of the three levels of service are you subscribed to? Is it the "up to 2Mb/s" middle tier?

I haven't subscribed to any yet, looks like 1.25 is the default install. I will be bumping it up to the next tier when I can.
Wornout99

Postby bajajorgeyana » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:30 am

Wornout, Have they started doing installs? We notified Telnor through Natalie that we would be gone until Feb, but that probably doesn't hold much water. Jorge
bajajorgeyana

Postby Turtleone » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:19 pm

George, Jim was in to see Natalie yesterday. No they are not doibg installs as she says they cannot do the internet seperate from the phones , leagally. Apparently Wornout is a tester!
Turtleone

Postby Wornout99 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:30 pm

As far as I can tell, they have started the roll out, or at least they are doing the first 15, I saw the installers list when he was here Wednesday. The system works great. Once the installed sets everything up he calls in the completion and the next day the phone was working. I think they have solved the phone side problem.

You are going to love it, and I hope I will continue to love it when the others are installed. What I have now should NOT slow down as WiMax can handle the traffic and so can the fiber running to Mexicali.....
Wornout99

Postby dis & dat » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 am

I saw a post on the TSFG where a person in PDO was wired up with Wimax and the new phone number. I tried calling that number this morning, from my land line and cell phone. The call failed using both systems.

I also know of another person who was wired early on as a Beta, and they have been having phone issues for a couple of months now.

I have on rare occasions, switched my land line phone wire back to the 576 little box (about 2" square) and my phones worked.

I am not so sure about the phone system just yet.

I was going to buy new wireless phones next week at Costco, but in light of what I have personally experienced and heard, I think it is not my phone problem, so I will save the money.

Signed,
Beta
dis & dat

Postby Wornout99 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:13 pm

My new phone has worked every time I pick it up since it was installed last week. I still have the old phone connected and hooked up another phone to the new system. All is well here.
Wornout99

Postby Wornout99 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Over a week on WiMax and still going strong. No outages on either the phone or internet side. This is great....
Wornout99

wimax roll out? no local information

Postby akshadow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:35 am

Stopped by the phone company to check on the schedule and the "list". I signed up last fall.

Was told the list is in Mexicali and she did not have a copy. So she could no tell me my placement on the list or that my number was still on the list.

Schedule? She thinks they will start again at the end of the month. But she had no specific information

My existing service has really slowed way down.
akshadow

Re: wimax roll out? no local information

Postby Turtleone » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 pm

:D :D :D Got my call from Natalie (telnor) today that they will be coming to install my Wi Max on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, if I will be home? OFCOURSE I WILL BE HOME! I have been waiting for them! LOL!--- LVS-1
Two friends also got their calls today one in LMN-1 & one in VDM.
All for this next week.
So it is coming folks !! Just hang in there!
Turtleone

Re: wimax roll out? no local information

Postby Wornout99 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:27 am

Turtleone wrote::D :D :D Got my call from Natalie (telnor) today that they will be coming to install my Wi Max on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, if I will be home? OFCOURSE I WILL BE HOME! I have been waiting for them! LOL!--- LVS-1
Two friends also got their calls today one in LMN-1 & one in VDM.
All for this next week.
So it is coming folks !! Just hang in there!

Congratulations. Thanks for the update and glad to hear something is happening as I was beginning to wonder.
Wornout99

PreviousNext

Return to Talk San Felipe