WiMax Rollout

Express you joy, miff, awe, concern, praise or rant in all things San Felipe.

WiMax Rollout

Postby Wornout99 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Telnor has begun TESTING WiMax in San Felipe, specifically El Dorado Ranch. Bob Miller is one of the Beta Testers and below is a piece of a post from Bob which was made on the TSFG Yahoo Group.

Having been setup on Monday, with WiMax, NOT with Telnor’s personal, but the Contractor’s people (and I knew them both), I had a chance to talk to Senior “V”. I will now tell you all what I was told and my experience with the system so far.

But I think a bit of history is important here so some people do not misunderstand how just a very few set ups have been done. Warren SUNDQUIST (not Rezac) put this info on this site on October 5th, but it bears repeating:

From Wornout's Post: After the last developers meeting, when Telnor was present, Bob Miller, Larry Williams and myself went outside and had a meeting with Telnor. We told them we had all been in the business and would be willing to help with the beta testing and the roll-out. I have been in contact with Mr. Vega all summer and Bob was the only one of the three of us who was there when Gabe was ready. end.

The week prior was pretty hectic for me with the Supervisors meeting, SAFE, etc, as I was called 3 times to schedule an installation and I was not home to take the calls. I thought they would call again this past Monday and stayed home all day until around 4:30 pm when I left. And don’t you just know it, that is when they called, but my Mother had the presence of mind to tell them I was expecting them and to come on over. She then got in her car and went looking for me & found me at the Lemon Tree store.

The non Telnor installers arrived about 5:20 p.m. or so and here is what they did. Because the new cable is large, round, and black (technical terms), the existing wire for the “current” system will not work. Remember, this is a fast system and needs a bigger fatter wire (More technical jargon). A new type of antenna and mast pipe had to be installed leaving the existing Telnor antenna in place because, and this is important to understand - because the voice side of the new system (VOIP) was not YET working. The voice signal will piggyback (another technical term) onto the Wimax signal thereby eliminating the need for 2 antennas. Performing installations at this time is a lot of additional work and money for these supplies. This was not an unexpected expense for testing of the system. BUT ONLY FOR TESTING.

In my case, they had to run the cable an unusual way because the orange corrugated conduit inside the walls would not accept the new bigger wire with all of the turns in the conduit. Be forewarned!

Once the wiring is in place they simply attach an Infinitum Modem/router to the cable and power it up and you have the internet signal.

WHY ISN’T TELNOR OUT DOING INSTALLATIONS ALL OVER THE PLACE??

There are two (2) reasons for not announcing the new system and begin installations.

Remember, Telnor said that they would bring a new telephone system (voice) along with the faster Internet. The voice side of the system is not yet ready for use. That is why installations have not yet begun. This will change soon, but exactly how soon I do not know. They are working very hard to get this project finished and begin commercial installations..

Another reason for not doing installs is the speed has not increased past 1 mg. I signed up for a faster speed because of the calling minutes to the US. I continue to be patient.

Just understand this: the system is still in BETA mode. There will be no need for the “phone” box that those with phone service have on some wall in their casa nor the current phone antenna. HOWEVER, Telnor will be able to use that same mast to install the Wimax antenna and the new cable.

FURTHER,

I just got an email from Mexicali Telnor. They are not totally ready to announce the new system. They want to have the new system working completely before they make that announcement and begin installations.

BE PATIENT, just a little while longer.

[size=200][/size][/size][/size]
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.
Wornout99

Re: WiMax Rollout

Postby Wornout99 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:40 pm

Bump....(Technical term to get this post to the top of the list)
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.
Wornout99

Postby dis & dat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:54 pm

What would a double bump do? :lol: :lol:
Good grief :roll:
dis & dat

Postby bbrfelipe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:15 am

delmaracer wrote:What would a double bump do? :lol: :lol:
Good grief :roll:

In this case, nothing as this Topic was the last updated, however, if it had not been, then it would be the first on the list cuz it would have the latest post, and that is how it works Ollie. :ugeek:
bbrfelipe
Site Admin

Postby dis & dat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:32 am

The phone side of my BETA testing of the Wimax is now working. :roll:
All seems to be just fine. :D
It appears there will be a change from the 576 prefix phone numbers - no worries though because the new system is very well worth the slight inconvenience of a new phone number.

The system will officially be announced and rolled out very soon. Then the general installations will begin. :D
dis & dat

Postby Turtleone » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:52 am

Has anyone from Telnor given you guys any idea how the changes will be made? Like by people sign up dates, phone numbers, or locations? :?: It would seem fair 8-) to do them by sign ups but also sensible to do each neigborhoood :) BUT--ofcourse this is Mexico :D
Turtleone

Postby dis & dat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Turtleone wrote:Has anyone from Telnor given you guys any idea how the changes will be made? Like by people sign up dates, phone numbers, or locations? :?: It would seem fair 8-) to do them by sign ups but also sensible to do each neigborhoood :) BUT--ofcourse this is Mexico :D

No, I have heard nothing about that. I too think it will or should be by sign up date. But that is JMO, JMHO, JMDAO, JMSO, JMUO, well, you get the idea, eh?
dis & dat

Postby dis & dat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Today, the Wimax and it's phone service were off line for at least 6 hours.
It is still in test mode.
dis & dat

Postby Turtleone » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:25 am

Im thinking the end of Oct is Never gonna get here? Im hoping testing will be over by then & installing in progress.We are running pretty slow here nowdays as we are now supplying 5 :geek: of us on my system--Duhhhh! :( :roll:
Turtleone

Re: WiMax Rollout UPDATE as of 2010/07/11

Postby dis & dat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:17 am

Earlier this morning, I was advised that due to continued problems with the voice side of the new WiMax system there will be a further delay in any new installations. So far, no installations have been done except those of the testers. New estimate is approximately 2 weeks from today. But that is a soft date. It could also be moved up if they get the problems fixed.
I can say that experts from Telmex have been brought in to assist in solving some of the thorny issues.

Yes, the Exec's at Telnor are working hard at fixing the problems and they are embarrassed by the delay.
dis & dat

Postby blueroadrunner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:09 pm

I received a call from Telnor a few days ago saying they would be installing the Wimax system at my place in 10 days. My name was second on the list. I know the first person and will see him in the morning and ask if he has received a call yet. It would seem things are moving along.
blueroadrunner

Postby Rob Hoare » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 pm

dis & dat wrote:I was advised that due to continued problems with the voice side of the new WiMax system there will be a further delay in any new installations.

For those that have Wi-Max so far (Bob and Warren?), how reliably and fast does the data side of it work? Have you done any speed tests, both upload and download, or ping time tests (latency), or jitter tests for VOIP?

It'll be interesting to get a benchmark speed for the first few users, and then see how much it slows down (or stops) once the rest of the users pile on in the coming months. :-)

Rob
--> Read the latest articles from more than thirty San Felipe blogs at San Felipe News.
Rob Hoare

Postby Turtleone » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:59 pm

I was on the secnd day sign up so hopefully yet this month--Maybe? :?: :?: ;) :D
Turtleone

Postby dis & dat » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:00 am

Rob Hoare wrote:
dis & dat wrote:I was advised that due to continued problems with the voice side of the new WiMax system there will be a further delay in any new installations.

For those that have Wi-Max so far (Bob and Warren?), how reliably and fast does the data side of it work? Have you done any speed tests, both upload and download, or ping time tests (latency), or jitter tests for VOIP?

It'll be interesting to get a benchmark speed for the first few users, and then see how much it slows down (or stops) once the rest of the users pile on in the coming months. :-)

Rob

Hi Rob,
During the continuing 'test' phase of the WiMax system, internet speed was intentionally limited to 1 mb/s. I have done many speed tests and have kept the results for the Telnor folks. The D/L speeds are in the range of 1.2 - 1.5 mb/s and are consistent. The upload has been in the range of .15 to .30 mb/s with most of the tests at .25 - .30 mb/s.
dis & dat

Postby Rob Hoare » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:42 pm

dis & dat wrote:During the continuing 'test' phase of the WiMax system, internet speed was intentionally limited to 1 mb/s. I have done many speed tests and have kept the results for the Telnor folks. The D/L speeds are in the range of 1.2 - 1.5 mb/s and are consistent. The upload has been in the range of .15 to .30 mb/s with most of the tests at .25 - .30 mb/s.

Thanks Bob. Sounds good enough, if the speed will still be consistent once there are more users, and if there are no data caps. The upload speed especially is good enough for high-quality voice, unlike Telcel's connection or the existing Telnor system.

I'm getting 1.5-2.2 Mb/s download on Telcel, but it's far from consistent and it's a long way from being reliable, plus there's that 3GB/month limit which really restricts what it can be used for.

Rob
--> Read the latest articles from more than thirty San Felipe blogs at San Felipe News.
Rob Hoare

Postby Turtleone » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:17 am

Have now heard to conflicting stories as to when people just signing up that have not had any services from Telnor previously. One last Friday was told (by office girl) it will be Jan before they get services. The others On Monday were toldd , about a week lol! :roll: :roll:
BTW Also hear Natalie in office has left & a new GUY in her place that only speaks SOME english. :(
Turtleone

Postby dis & dat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Turtleone wrote:Have now heard to conflicting stories as to when people just signing up that have not had any services from Telnor previously. One last Friday was told (by office girl) it will be Jan before they get services. The others On Monday were toldd , about a week lol! :roll: :roll:
BTW Also hear Natalie in office has left & a new GUY in her place that only speaks SOME english. :(

Natalie is on a short leave. Her family owns Copy Centro and her grandmother died so she is taking some time off to help. I saw here working in Copy Centro when I went there to get new photos for FM# made.
dis & dat

Postby Turtleone » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Oh Ok Good! Musta been a misunderstanding --Ya think? Lol!
Turtleone

Postby dis & dat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 pm

I have had intermittent phone outages occurring on Saturday, and again early this morning. I don't know about the other times because I did not make any calls then using the new system.

I am getting bored with this phone service!
dis & dat

Postby Wornout99 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:26 pm

If Telnor doesn't get on the ball with rollouts, they are going to have a bunch of people drop off the installation list till next season.

It was posted that people signing up now are being told January and that doesn't look realistic now that the system is further delayed. For some January only gives them a couple of months service before leaving for the season and most won't want to change. Telnor having phone outage problems with WiMax will only have the people resisting more.
Wornout99

Next

Return to Talk San Felipe